Sunday, April 17, 2011

Open Sim Explorations

I've visited the open sim grids off and on in the past, never really gotten as involved in Os too much when it first started being a thing, since there wasn't that much to really grab my attention outside of the fact there was no LL politics.  I've recently jumped in again onto the OS grid using the Imprudence viewer.

It still reminds me of my first forays into SL, before there was much else outside the mainland, and everything was an assortment of bright blocky items, only less danceclubs and offers of prostiution.

I searched for steampunk, and found an interesting sim, most the freebees were steampunk textures, so i took as many as I could.  Next stop was a freebee area at a mall, I tp'd in, saw an old style car, the freebees ahead of me, and could not move at all...


after a few minutes, I suddenly took off like a bullet, slamming into a far wall, nice to see lagg still effects this grid as well.  I was able to find hair more like SL's Footman, but the skins were all the normal male skins, nothing really zombie like.  I couldn't rezz there, so would have to get the trenchcoat and all later.

Occasionally I had issues teleporting, but really nothing worse than SL.  and I could upload images and textures for free, also a plus

I did have moment's where things would freeze at times, TPing into a sim to suddenly have a box I had picked up earlier attach to my head, and I then froze like that for a minute, but otherwise it seems about as smooth as SL.

I hadn't done a serious search for RP yet, aside from coming across a horror one called Maelstrom,It seemed empty, but you figure the OS grids probably don't have a huge user base yet.   I understand there's grids dedicated to RP, that I may have to check out at a later time.  Not too sure yet if any have steampunk RP, but looking at OS, it doesn't seem to pricey to get a sim on one of the grids, the RP Worlds grid had sims for about the same amount I pay  each month, for my plot in New Babbage, for a whole sim.


Overall, Opensim is promising.  With people constantly proclaiming the death of SL, and M Linden having brought it close, more and more limits being imposed, and the politics that seem to develop, it's always good to have alternatives.  I don't honestly beleive SL will go anytime soon, if something like IMVU, wich really is just a glorified chatroom can still be around, then SL will be, but the fact there's work on other grids is a good thing, Open Sims may be what finally bring about something like the Sprawl or Net from William Gibson books.

No comments:

Post a Comment